There are so many sports you can bet on. From football to soccer and baseball, you are likely busy year-round placing bets on your favorite teams and sports. But what happens when there is a lull or a specific team you are waiting to bet on, but the season hasn’t begun yet? Can you bet on preseason games?
It is definitely possible to bet on preseason sports matches, and many online sports betting platforms allow you to do so on almost any sport. But should you bet on preseason sports? And is there anything you should know before you do? Read on to find out.
What You Need to Know About Betting on Preseason Sports
It is possible to place bets on most preseason sports games, just like you can for regular season games. However, it's important to note that preseason games can be more unpredictable and challenging to bet on compared to regular season games.
Preseason games are often used by teams to evaluate new players, test strategies, and assess team dynamics. As a result, starters might not play as much or at all, and the outcomes can be influenced by factors like player rotations, experimental tactics, and team cohesion. This increased level of uncertainty can make preseason games riskier to bet on.
Before placing bets on preseason games, consider the following factors:
Gather as much information as possible about the teams, players, and their performances during the preseason. Look into team news, player injuries, and recent performances in training camps.
Keep in mind that even if you spend hours researching, it may not be possible to predict the outcome of preseason games. Any bet you place on a preseason game should be considered higher risk than other sports bets.
Depth and Lineups
Understand the team's depth chart and which players are likely to see more playing time. Coaches may prioritize evaluating younger or less experienced players during preseason.
If you bet on preseason games regularly, you know how important it is to keep up with lineup changes, as teams will change frequently during this time period. Coaches may also move players around to experiment with different on-field combinations.
Determine the teams' motivations for the game. Some teams might be more focused on testing strategies and player combinations rather than winning the game. For best results, you’ll want to only place preseason bets on teams whom you are familiar with their activities during preseason.
Historical Preseason Performance
Look into how teams have historically performed during preseason games. Some teams consistently perform well, while others may struggle. If the team you intended to bet on during preseason struggles frequently during this time, it may be better to skip the preseason bets and wait until the official season begins.
Home Field Advantage
Consider the impact of home-field advantage, even in preseason. Some teams might perform better when playing on their home turf. This is something you should keep in mind with any sports bet, as this advantage isn’t limited to preseason games.
Check for any trends or patterns in betting lines and odds for preseason games. This can give you an idea of how others are placing their bets. It may be useful to chat with other bettors who place bets on preseason games to find what strategies have worked for them versus ones that haven’t.
Due to the higher level of unpredictability in preseason games, consider using smaller bets or different betting strategies compared to regular season games. If you are unsure about betting on preseason games, it’s probably better just to save your money and bet on regular-season games.
Remember that there's always an element of risk in sports betting, and preseason games can be particularly volatile. If you choose to bet on preseason sports, do so responsibly and within your means. Be aware of the laws and regulations related to sports betting in your jurisdiction as well.
Related: What Sports Can You Bet On?
Where Can You Bet on Preseason Games?
Most sports books that offer regular sports betting will also offer preseason sports betting. If you don’t live near a casino, there are many online sports books that allow you to place preseason bets. One of the main ones is MintDice.com which offers a Bitcoin sports book where you can bet on all sorts of sports, both during regular and preseason.
How to Place Bets on Preseason Games
Placing a bet on preseason sports games is similar to placing bets on regular season games. Here's a general guide on how to do it:
1. Choose a Betting Platform: Select a reputable sports betting platform or bookmaker that offers bets on preseason sports games. Make sure the platform is legal and licensed in your jurisdiction.
2. Create an Account: Sign up for an account on the chosen betting platform. This usually involves providing your personal information and verifying your identity.
3. Deposit Funds: Deposit money into your betting account using the available payment methods such as credit/debit cards, bank transfers, e-wallets, cryptocurrency, or other options offered by the platform.
4. Navigate to Preseason Games: Browse the platform's sportsbook to find the section dedicated to preseason sports games. On MintDice.com, preseason games are found by selecting your favorite sport, and you will see all games, preseason and regular, listed as options for betting.
5. Select a Game: Choose the preseason sports game you want to place a bet on. The available games will be listed with odds for different betting options.
6. Choose a Bet Type: There are various types of bets you can place on a sports game, such as moneyline bets, point spread bets, over/under bets, and more. Select the bet type that you are comfortable with and understand.
7. Place Your Bet: Once you've selected the bet type, you'll usually see the odds associated with each option. Enter the amount of money you want to wager. The platform will calculate your potential winnings based on the odds.
8. Confirm Your Bet: Review your bet slip to ensure that you've selected the correct game, bet type, and amount. Confirm the bet when you're satisfied with your choices.
9. Wait for the Outcome: After placing your bet, you'll need to wait for the outcome of the preseason game to see if you've won. The platform will update your account with the winnings if your bet is successful. You may or may not choose to watch the game you bet on.
10. Withdraw Your Winnings: If your bet is successful and you win, you can withdraw your winnings from your betting account to your preferred payment method.
Overall, betting on preseason games isn’t much different from betting on regular season games, though it can carry some additional risk. Just be sure if you do decide to engage in preseason sports betting that you do your research and only bet money you are okay to lose.
You May Also Enjoy: Fundamentals of Sports Betting for Beginners