Here on MintDice.com we talk a lot about cryptostaking. Cryptostaking is the process of investing money in a platform's liquidity pool or consensus mechanism for the purpose of gaining returns.
Cryptostaking isn’t for everyone, but it can be a great way for your crypto to make money for you. Read on to learn all about the benefits of staking cryptocurrency.
The Benefits of Staking Cryptocurrency
Staking cryptocurrency offers several potential benefits, making it an attractive option for many investors and holders. Here are some reasons why you might consider staking:
Earning Passive Income
Staking can allow you to earn a regular stream of income in the form of staking rewards. These rewards are typically given to participants who contribute to the network's security and consensus process. It can be a way to generate passive income without actively trading as long as you choose to stake a network that is profitable.
Supporting the Network
By staking your cryptocurrency, you actively participate in securing and maintaining the blockchain network. In Proof of Stake (PoS) and similar consensus mechanisms, stakers help validate transactions and create new blocks. This contributes to the overall stability and security of the network.
If you like a certain project, there is no reason not to stake it just for the purpose of supporting the network. Just remember that there are risks involved in staking and that you could lose your investment, so only stake money you can afford to lose.
Staking is often considered more environmentally friendly compared to traditional Proof of Work (PoW) mining, which requires substantial energy consumption. Staking doesn't rely on energy-intensive computations and can be seen as a greener way to engage with cryptocurrencies.
Potential for Capital Appreciation
Many investors stake their cryptocurrency with the hope that the value of the staked coins will appreciate over time. While staked, you still hold ownership of the coins, and if the price increases, your staked assets could become more valuable.
This means that even if the aspect of staking is profitable on the platform you choose, you still may finish your staking endeavor with more money than you started with, thanks to the appreciation of your original investment.
Network Participation and Governance
Some blockchain networks allow stakers to participate in governance decisions. This means you may have a say in protocol upgrades, changes, and other important network decisions.
Many people choose to stake a platform simply because they want to be involved in the development of the said platform. If you want to have a say in the direction a project heads, staking can be a good way to hold governance tokens or earn a vote in the governance process.
Staking offers a way to diversify your investment portfolio within the cryptocurrency space. Instead of just holding and trading, you can put your assets to work by staking them across different projects.
For example, many cryptocurrency users love to hold Bitcoin, but Bitcoin is only one project and is generally seen as a store of value. Adding staking to your portfolio can allow you to hold another cryptocurrency but also possibly gain passive income that you can’t gain while holding Bitcoin.
Long-Term Hodling Strategy
Staking can align with a long-term "hodling" strategy, where you hold onto your cryptocurrency assets with the expectation of benefiting from future price increases while also earning staking rewards.
Cryptostaking is always the long game and isn’t considered part of day trading. If you prefer to day trade, then it is better to look into doing so rather than considering staking.
Related: Cryptocurrency Terms
Some staking arrangements allow you to unstake and access your funds relatively quickly, providing a level of liquidity compared to other investment options. Be careful, however, as many platforms, like the popular Ethereum, do not allow you to have liquidity while you stake.
Always read all available information before locking in your crypto to ensure you have chosen to stake a platform that meets all of your needs—especially if liquidity is one of those needs.
Low Entry Barrier
Staking is often more accessible than traditional mining. You don't need specialized hardware, technical expertise, or high energy costs to participate.
Especially if you choose to stake a less popular platform—you can find that a few dollars go a lot further than it would toward the purchasing of a Bitcoin.
Popular Platforms for Crypto Staking
Interested in reaping some of the benefits of staking for yourself? Here are some platforms that can help you get started with cryptostaking.
· Binance: Binance, one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges, offers staking services for various cryptocurrencies, allowing users to stake and earn rewards.
· Coinbase: Coinbase, a user-friendly exchange, has introduced staking services for certain cryptocurrencies. Users can earn rewards by staking on the platform.
· Kraken: Kraken provides staking options for select cryptocurrencies, allowing users to stake and earn rewards directly on the exchange.
· Binance.US: Binance's U.S.-focused platform, Binance.US, also offers staking services for eligible cryptocurrencies.
· Crypto.com: Crypto.com offers a staking platform that allows users to earn rewards by staking a range of supported cryptocurrencies.
· Huobi: Huobi Global provides staking services for various PoS-based cryptocurrencies, enabling users to participate in staking and earn rewards.
· OKEx: OKEx offers staking services for multiple cryptocurrencies, allowing users to stake and earn rewards on the exchange.
· KuCoin: KuCoin provides staking services for various cryptocurrencies, allowing users to stake and earn rewards directly on the platform.
· Staked: Staked is a third-party platform that specializes in staking services. It offers staking options for various PoS-based cryptocurrencies.
· MyEtherWallet (MEW): MEW offers a staking feature that allows users to participate in Ethereum 2.0 staking directly from their wallet.
· Trust Wallet: Trust Wallet, a mobile cryptocurrency wallet, supports staking for select PoS-based cryptocurrencies.
· Atomic Wallet: Atomic Wallet provides staking services for several PoS-based cryptocurrencies, allowing users to earn rewards from within the wallet.
Before you download/join any of these apps for the purpose of staking, ensure you do your research as not all of the aforementioned platforms are available in all countries. Additionally, some of the features available may vary based on your location.
Overall, we find cryptostaking to be an excellent way to get involved with cryptocurrency without breaking the bank. It does, however, care some risk, so ensure you take the time to research every project you intend to invest in and never stake any money you don’t intend to lose.
You May Also Enjoy: Top 5 Best Crypto Apps